Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Glamorous Life of Writing

I've always been a bit puzzled by authors who prefer to write in the middle of a busy cafe, or some such nonsense. Not me. I need alone time, and lots of it.

Which is kind of funny when you consider that my life offers very little in the way of solitude. The best I can do is get up early, though I really don't like to do that either. Nevertheless, at least during the school year, I can wedge in an hour in the a.m., but at sixty minutes, I'm only getting started.

Lately, however, it doesn't seem to matter when or where I try to write. There have been so many serious and real-life thoughts occupying my mind that there's not much room for creativity.

I did have an interesting insight today, though. Sometimes I can find solitude at unexpected times--say, when I'm grilling chicken for dinner. And when it's difficult to still my mind for some focused writing, maybe I just need to do something else for a little while instead of staring at the computer screen. Something that lets my mind wander, but keeps my body active--like vacuuming.

Rats. Sounds like I should be doing more chores. That is not the glamorous writer's lifestyle I meant to sign up for. ;-)

2 comments:

Lavonda Pflug said...

Oh sweet sister, I know your frustration and I continue to pray for your real-life distractions.

Those times I find it hard to focus on my writing, I find it beneficial to pray. I used to work in my garden (which had me on my knees) and hang clothes on the line (which had my hands and face lifted to heaven). Many times while I was doing my chores, God would do my writing for me. Then, after the garden was weeded and the clothes were dry, all I had to do was put the words God had given me on paper.

So,keep on pushing that vacuum and pray while you're at it. You never know what kind of inspiration you'll get when you empty the dirt bag! ;)
Blessings!

Terri Tiffany said...

I lvoed your camping story over at NCV! Thanks for a great read!